Some rare vintage speakers....that I never heard of, PART TWO

Gentle reader,

I completed my restoration of the Acutex speakers. I made some minor improvements as well.
As you can see above and in the two photos immediately below, that I reversed one of the "4CM Acutex Dome Carbonized Reflexer" and tweeter panels so that the speakers are mirror images. There is belief that doing so improves the "Sound stage". I chose not to try and repair the broken tweeter protector cage below. I would not be able to do so and match the original.
I also chose not to touch up the chipped black paint on the front panels. Again, I felt that matching the original paint would be difficult to do.



Other things that I DID do are, I rubberized the woofer's foam surrounds, but only on the back side. I wanted to preserve the originality of these uber-rare speakers, yet tweak the sound. I replaced factory fiberglass inside with polyfil which is said to perform better. 
As you can see, I removed the cheap plastic spring terminals with 3/4" spaced 3-way terminals that accept banana plugs, spade lugs or bare wires, larger of the latter that the spring terminals would accept.
Just check out the glow and shine of the happily Tung oiled black walnut veneer and solid pieces in the following photos!



These are the bottoms which of course were the worst. The wood sucked up the Tung oil "and there was much rejoicing". Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Compare these photos to the original condition on The Robb Collections: Some rare vintage speakers....that I never heard of.

Thanks for looking,

Scott  

1 comment:

  1. Hello i found vintage speAkers that have an upside down peramid as a brand they have a wealnu finish
    Do u know the brand?
    Thankd joe

    ReplyDelete

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...